Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Officially discouraged....

I had the second part of my testing with the personal trainer today.
Part of it was a test to see how my cardio fitness was.  So I hopped onto the treadmill, all the right buttons were pressed and I briskly walked up an increasing incline for 5 minutes.  
At the end of the test the treadmill screen gives you a number that indicates your level of cardio fitness.  I didn't see what my number was but I did see that the screen said 'below average'. 
Seriously??!  I've been doing over 8 hours exercise a week for nearly a year! And we don't just skate around slowly bumping into each other.  I sweat every single practice, usually to the dripping stage. How can I still be below average??  
I'm starting to think my body does the same thing with fitness as it does with tanning.  
I burn, I peel, I am lily white again.  
Maybe I also exercise, I collapse, I am still unfit.  

What do I have to do to get fit??
Looking for the silver lining I guess it means that I was in desperate trouble this time last year and without derby I would still be there.  I guess it also means that I haven't imagined that it's been really really hard work to get as far as I have already.  
The only thing for it is to keep going, keep exercising, and hope that before long the screen will read 'average.'  

2 comments:

  1. Don't listen to what the machine thinks. Talk to your trainer instead. Or better yet your derby coaches.

    I've been cycle commuting 10km each way for years, and doing derby training for 5 months. Went to a physio for a back strain and he says I HAVE WEAK GLUTES!!!! What? How is that possible. I can't sustain a jog for 5 minutes, but I get a pretty good score for 25in5. This is from a chick who can't jog and has a weak arse.

    My point is, don't worry about comparing yourself to something that's irrelevant.

    DERBY IS DIFFERENT. Ignore the machine, and measure yourself against yourself. Who knows what it is calling average anyway. Is that average for a marathon runner or a couch potato?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. Despite being on the bigger side, I never would've called myself unsporty. At a medium pace (at which I'm still able to beat the 25 in 5 easily) I can skate pretty much forever.

    But the moment I start running - my pulse skyrockets (170 bpm and up) and I look like my head is going to explode. I blame it on the fact that I have pretty big breasts. The moment they start jumping, they're busy pounding the air out of my lungs. Despite wearing the best sports bra I could find. So how's a body supposed to function under this condition? (Just my uneducated guess, though)
    Maybe it's the same for you? How did they measure your fitness? Just through your Pulse?

    ReplyDelete