Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Eating an elephant

So I'm officially on the Otautahi Allstars Training Squad!  
But again, like so many other things in derby, my joy was quickly followed by a reality check.  
Being on the squad doesn't mean you get picked to bout. And to get picked to bout you must meet a list of requirements, including 5 hours off skates exercise per week.  

Bummer.  
I have trouble fitting in the three on-skates trainings we need to do.  
I have tried to go to the gym but Erin refuses (as in screams so loud the entire gym can hear her) to stay in the childcare so that rules that option out.
I'd tried the exercise DVDs too but it only takes 10 minutes of Erin climbing on me for that to get beyond a joke.
My only choice was to start thinking creatively.  How could I fit 5 hours of exercise into my life of stay-at-home-mum-ness without derby taking any more time away from my family than it already does...
I already do 10 minutes of ankle strengthening and achilles stretches morning and night (Physios orders) so that adds up to 2 hours and 20 minutes already. Nearly half way there!
I did the housework super-speed yesterday - so that I broke a sweat.  I hate housework anyway so it's a good way to get it done quickly and I could easily chalk up an hour and a half doing that every week. 
And this last exercise is my favourite...Erin loves dancing so I can dance with her for 15 minutes each week day - this doesn't sound much like exercise but trust me, dancing while holding a happy, jiggly 15kg weight is not easy! 
So the grand total is 5 hours and 5 minutes.  Throw in the occasional brisk walk with the pram for a bit of variety and it'll be sweet.
I love it when a goal seems too big to achieve and then you shrink it down with a bit of thinking outside the box!
How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what you'll find out. Derby is of course a very physical sport, but there's a lot of thought involved, too. I believe mental stamina and positive thinking is as important as physical stamina and skating skills.

    ReplyDelete