Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Beauty in the Bruise


"Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce." Vivian Komori
I grew up with only one sister, no brothers.  So when I started dating Iain there were a few things that perplexed me.  
One of these was the way that he and his two brothers celebrated their injuries.  
One time in particular they had been out wakeboarding in the Marlborough Sounds and when the boat was driven a little too close to the rocks, Iain was thrown into them at speed.  Luckliy he got away with only a nasty gash on his leg.  Before it got cleaned up and patched, photos were taken....complete with smiling brothers faces and thumbs up next to the bloody mess.  
How very strange boys are I thought.  
When I started derby I still remember being a little confused at seeing some of the oldmeat comparing their wounds.  
And it's not just a derby thing....a quick google of  'proud of bruise' reveals footballers, lacrosse players,  stuntmen,  paintballers all showing off their bruises...some even naming them!
Still I was puzzled by this odd gratification.
Then I got one for myself.
Then I could see the hidden Beauty in the bruise.


Not only was it full of vibrant colours that changed every day but it was an outward stamp of some of the internal changes that have happened for me since I started playing derby.  
I was no longer just a spectator, no longer playing it safe.  
It was proof that I could take the hits....get up again and keep on skating.
I knew I was stronger, braver, more resilient than before...inside and out...but here I had Evidence.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose,
for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down,
but the staying down. ~Mary Pickford

No comments:

Post a Comment